Favorite Horror Movies

My Favorites of the Horror Genre
I´m not the biggest fan of the horror genre at times. For one reason, I´m a wimp when it comes to scary movies. I much rather laugh then cry. However I do enjoy a good scare once in a while, especially when it is combined with some laughs as well (zombie movies!). Anywell here´s a list of my faves from this spooky genre.
Best Horror Franchise: Final Destination
 The Final Destination movies are too much fun for me. I don´t care that the acting is sub-par and the plot hasn´t changed since the first one, the movies are suspenseful and explore creative ways how someone can die. I love waiting for the Rue Goldberg´s deathtrap to spring on the young victim. Never taking themselves too seriously and usually not going over the top with gore (boo saw), these are my kind of fun scare.

Scary Zombie Movie: 28 days later
28 Days later is a serious zombie movie that explores issues of humanity after the zombie virus apocolypse. At the climax, when the small group of survivors make it to an army holdout, they discover that zombies aren´t the real enemy, that man is. A exciting and scary adventure that is throughly enjoyable and intellectual.

Fun Zombie Movie: Zombieland
Zombieland is a ride of hilarity and ridiculousness. How Jesse Isenberg survived the zombie apocolyps to become one of the few ragtag survivors is still a mystery to me but I´m glad he did. The chemistry between badass Woody Harrelson and Nerdy Jesse is priceless, and throw in hottie Emma Stone in the mix and we have a winner.

Favorite Hitchcock: The Birds
 I just noticed on this poster that it says not to see the end first but to see it from the beginning. Was that like a thing back then, to watch the end of the movie first? No idea but anyway The Birds is suspenseful and effective. A good precursor to Jaws with a surreal and unexpected ending, The Birds is a classic.
Sci-Fi/Horror: The Thing (1982)

The Thing is one of the few (if not the only) John Carpenter movie that lives up to it´s hype. The Thing is a great combination of both sci/fi and horror and will keep you intrigued the whole way through.

Fantasy movie that scared the crap out of you when you were a kid: Willow and Legend

I only have vague recollections of both of these movies, but the few memories I have are traumatizing. Obviously Tim Curry as Satan (Darkness) is pretty freaky, especially if you went to sunday school as a kid. And then willow, which is a unique and quality film as far as I can remember, has a very scary part when people start turning into pigs. A loud and detailed transformation. Yep that gave me nightmares.

Horror Movie for Kids: Gremlins
Gremlins! I was scared for weeks after I saw part of this movie on TV when I was like 6 or 7. I mean cute little gizmos start turning into horrible green beasts that actually kill people. It´s entertaining now, but back then it was just horrifying.

Most Haunting Horror Villian: Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Freddy Kruger is just the best. Supposedly Freddy Kruger is named after a childhood bully that terrorized director Wes Craven when he was a kid. Well Freddy does an excellent job terrorizing teenagers on elm street and i an intelligent and complex villian coming to kill you in your dreams.

Scary Friggin Movie: The Ring

The ring is a scary friggin movie. I´ve stayed away from paranormal activity and other scary movies like that, so I´m not sure how it compares, but the the ring was my limit. I remember have to stop the vcr and take a break half way through the film. It´s a scary movie for me.

Low-budget Indie Horror: Dance of the Dead
Low budget and horror pretty much go hand in hand so there is probably alot of quality indie horror films out there. I like this one because it is low budget but still lots of fun. Prom´s been invaded by zombies and the only the nerds can save the day and get the girl. Great low-budget fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Vampire Timeline

Aliens Attack!