March and April 2018 Movie Reviews


 Ready Player One: 3 ½ stars
I didn’t love the book but I thought the premise and world made for a fun, easy read. For the most part, I thought the movie did a pretty good job with the changes to the story it made. I enjoyed the addition of TJ Miller’s character Irok (best designed avatar by far) and most of the challenges were more exciting and cinematic friendly. The easter egg clues and narrative was a little more concise, even if it doesn’t totally make sense at times. And I thought the CGI avatars were going to annoy me, but I got used to them for the most part. If anything, a lot of the real world parts seemed unrealistic and less developed. The future metropolis of Columbus, Ohio seems to be a bunch of empty streets and alleyways. And there were some plotholes involving the “sting” operation the characters concoct. All in all, I thought the movie was on par with the book, an entertaining and fast-moving story, but nothing groundbreaking and it’s better if you don’t think too much about it.


Wrinkle in Time: 1½ stars
I was pretty frustrated with this movie. I know “family” movies can be tough. They can’t be too edgy/adult, but also not too silly or kiddy. But even with a few neat visuals, this was boring to me. I’m not familiar with the books, but the plot was nonsensical, the characters were not well established and the actors were mostly wasted. Why would you cast Mindy Kaling as a character that’s reduced to reciting fortune cookie quotes? A disappointment from a promising director.


A Quiet Place: 4 stars
Tense and exciting, a quiet place turns every sound into building tension. If there is such a thing as a family horror sci-fi film, this would fit into that category.


Game Night: 3 ½ stars
Lighthearted and fun, I was never board of Game Night ;)


Love Simon: 3 ½ stars
A teen romance film that stands out in the genre.


Isle of Dogs: 4 ½ stars
Wonderfully animated, unpredictable and heartfelt, Isle of Dogs is a worthy addition to Wes Anderson’s impressive catalog. Enjoyable for dog lovers and lovers of great cinema.


Death of Stalin: 3 stars
-->
Absurd political comedy delivered from top notch actors.

-->

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Vampire Timeline

Aliens Attack!