Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse and Bohemian Rhapsody

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse
5 stars
When I first saw the trailer for this film, I was highly skeptical. It seemed like a cash-grab for Sony to try to cram in another Spider-man film (in a very Spider-man heavy year) and make a quick buck by throwing in as many popular characters as they could. And then I saw it.
This movie blew me away. As a Spider-man fan, I could not of asked for anything more. Not only is this movie visually stunning (combining multiple types of drawing and animation styles and comic book elements) it has a fantastic script. The dialogue is funny and heartfelt and the story moves at a speedy pace. I was most worried about Miles Morales not getting enough screen time, and while the movie does split the time between the different characters, Miles has some amazing scenes where it's completely focused on him. I really love Miles' no nonsense police officer father who is tough but caring. All the spider-people are completely unique, from their personalities to the way they are animated, and this movie might have my favorite version of Peter Parker. All in all, they hit it out of the park. It's funny, action-packed, heartfelt and mot of all feels fresh. We've had 7 Spider-man movies in the last 16 years and the premise gets a little stale. Even homecoming, which I enjoyed quite a bit, still felt familiar in a few points. Everything in this film felt new and different. Obviously is very visually different, but even the familiar characters felt new and exciting. This movie is a real treat so go out and see it!

For anyone who's interested, here's my rankings of the Spider-man franchise:



Bohemian Rhapsody
4 stars
A music bio-pic with likable character and a spetacular performancy by Rami Malek. Malek bring so much depth to his characterization of Freddy Mercury that it's pretty much irrestible. He portrays his extroverted personality along with his flaws and insecurities. And I enjoyed his interactions with the girlfriend and his bandmates. This is well worth a watch, with the fantastic music of Queen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Vampire Timeline

Aliens Attack!