Best Superhero Comics

Best Superhero Comics


Now that were all trapped indoors with limited entertainment options, there’s no excuse not to start reading more. Specifically comics, you should start reading comics.  I already made a list of my favorite non-superhero graphic novels (http://peterbobbs.blogspot.com/2019/07/best-non-superhero-graphic-novels.html) so here’s my list of my favorite superhero graphic novels. I haven’t been a lifetime comic book reader (I’ve never had a subscription and kept up with current runs) so starting to read a comic series that’s been running for 60+ years can be very intimidating. I’ve naturally gravitated to complete arcs with a clear beginning and end, and these are great for people like me, who are familiar with a character (from the movies, or general pop culture) but haven’t read the comics. If you’ve never read a comic, please check one of these spectacular storylines out, I promise you won't be disappointed.
By Frank Miller
It’s pretty well-known that Batman probably has the best comic storylines. There are many phenomenal story arcs (more recommendations below) but this one is a classic and it’s clear why. It revolves around an 80’s future version of Gotham City and grizzled Bruce Wayne who comes out of retirement to dawn the hood one more time. The story has everything: new villains, old villains, moral complexity, and astonishing art. It’s well known for it’s Batman v. Superman showdown, a battle of philosophical and political values, but that’s only one part of the 4 part story. Truly, this is a stupendous comic and is a must for any batman fan.
By Mark Millar
Superman’s never been my favorite. In my mind, he’s too powerful and it takes really good writing to create meaningful conflict. But here’s a story that does that. Remember how Superman landed in Kansas and was raised with good helpings of love and Midwest values and that’s why he’s such a boy scout. Let’s scrap that and have Superman instead land in Soviet Russia. What proceeds is epic, playing with alternative histories and role reversals. This alternative timeline beats out every other superman story and gets to the heart of the hero.
By Chip Zdarsky
Spider-man’s always been my favorite superhero. I think I read a comic or storybook when I was young and right away decided he was my favorite. I don’t know if it’s the nerdy, high school underdog persona, but he’s a very relatable and likable character. However, I’ve never found a Spider-man story I could really recommend. Even his classic storylines, never blew me away. That’s why I was so excited when I finally read Life Story. It was the satisfying Spider-man comic I had been looking for. The basic premise is that Spider-man was a teenager in the 60’s (when he was created) and then ages normally from there. Instead of resetting the clock every few years, like the movies do with re-casting, Peter has to struggle with parenthood, mid-life crises and eventually his own mortality. The art style changes with the decade, and it’s an extremely clever, yet heart-breaking, story.
By Alan Moore
Commonly known as the greatest comic of all time, Watchmen is a complex, multi-tiered narrative with overt political undertones and ethical quandaries. The characters are fantastically, flawed and the dialogue is brutal yet poetic. I don’t know if this is a great first comic, but if you’re looking for something that goes beyond action and art that can really be considered literature, Watchmen is definitely your best candidate.
By Matt Fraction
After looking at my recommendations, I realize a lot of them are epic stories that involve multiple heroes and alternate timelines. So for my last recommendation, I decided to choose something on a smaller scale. Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon is a perfect stripped down story that focuses on one character. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and it’s just a fun story of Hawkeye trying to lay low and protect his community in a New York apartment complex. Also, it shows how human and ridiculous Clint is. Even though he hangs out with demigods and billionaire tech moguls, Clint is just content lying low and paying rent. A very stylized approach, this fist volume is perfect for someone who wants to know more about the character.

Other recommendations organized by character:

Aquaman:
Volume 1: The Trench
Black Panther:
Rise of Black Panther Series
Batman:
Batman:Year One, White Knight, Hush, and The Long Halloween.
Iron Man:
            Civil War series
Justice League:
            Kingdom Come
Superman:
            Birthright
Spider-man:
Spiderman:Blue and Into the Spider-verse.
Wolverine:
            Old Man Logan, Logan
X-Men:
            God Loves, Man Kills

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Vampire Timeline

Aliens Attack!